Most couples dream of having wedding photographs that are full of life. Photographs that capture the fun, smiles and emotion of their day. Whilst weddings are naturally quite emotive occasions, they can also be quite long days for guests. As such, it’s important to keep people entertained. Guests who are well looked after and entertained are expressive, fun guests- which is great for you. Great for the atmosphere and in turn, great for your photographs and film. People will really be captured at their best.
But keeping large groups of people entertained can be costly. If, try as you might you simply do not have the budget to hire in professional entertainment, there are some cheap wedding entertainment ideas you can try.
Cheap wedding entertainment ideas for an outdoor wedding
If you are lucky enough to have nice weather on your wedding day, your options are pretty endless. Outdoor games are great fun and appeal to most age groups. Not only because they engage the people participating, but also the people watching.
Some popular outdoor games and activities include:
- Giant Jenga
- Connect four
- Hula Hoop
- Bean bag tossing
- Tug of war
- Space hoppers
- Coconut shy
- Swing Ball
- Outdoor DIY photobooth
- Inflatables (such as pig throwing!)
- Marshmallow toasting
And if you’re concerned about keeping kids or guests entertained for an extended period of time, there are some options as above too. If you have a little time to spare ahead of the wedding, why not plan something fun? If your wedding happens to fall near a significant public event or holiday, you can even theme it accordingly if you’d like. For example, an easter egg hunt.
- A treasure hunt.
- A photo challenge (design and print out a photo list for kids or guests to capture. For example “a lovely smile”)
Cheap wedding entertainment ideas for an indoor wedding
If you aren’t quite as lucky with the weather, or you’re planning an indoor wedding- perhaps in winter, there are cheap wedding entertainment ideas too!
Some of these ideas include
- Small or mini Table games (around Christmas time you often find mini table games in supermarkets and discount shops as they are sold as stocking fillers. They usually go on sale come boxing day too!)
- Put old photographs on the tables for people to look at. Social media is a gold mine for embarrassing photographs of friends if you want to go down that route!
- A wedding quiz: Loads of options here. General knowledge, how well do you know the couple etc
- MR & MRS or equivalent. This can be fun and as revealing, risqué or reigned in as you feel appropriata
- Ceilidh dancing
- Open Mic: If you have friends who like to perform, an open mic is a fun and interactive way to keep people entertained.
- Karaoke: Great for a non traditional evening celebration!
- Piñata or party games like “pin the veil on the bride”
- DIY photo booth or props and inflatables for the dancefloor
- Organise a dance off
- Open mic style speeches